The weather was absolutely the picture of a perfect fall day both Saturday and Sunday. My children played out in the puddles from Friday night’s thunderstorm and blew bubbles in the sunshine while my husband worked on a few outdoor projects.
However, I was sick. After a slow downward spiral over the course of the week, consider me completely ‘flushed’ on Friday. I broke down and called the clinic after being up part of the previous night. Bless our amazing local medical professionals for their care. Most of my weekend was spent in glasses, a long-sleeved tee, and pajama pants.
Monday’s are busy. Today I’m at work. Congratulations antibiotics! You are making a positive difference!
When it is chilly out and my body is ill, I have a few go-to’s.
- Something warm to snuggle in. I’m currently at my office desk with an oversized cable knit cardigan cozily draped around my body.
- Hot drink and lots of fluids. Ok… so I already drink a considerable quantity of fluids on a daily basis. Somewhere in the vicinity of 90-100oz. When I’m ill, I try to jack that up another 50-60oz.
Today I treated myself to a “vanilla cream” decaf soy latte hold the actual cream. Why? Because my doctor called and said I needed to change medications and the coffee shop is next to the pharmacy. Lucky me!
- A candle. Every year I ask for an “autumn-smelly” candle for my October birthday. Basically a deep, rich, non-flowery smelling candle. I purchased this one for myself at the pharmacy on Friday when I was in grabbing my meds. If I’m going to be sick and miserable, at least my house can smell inviting and cozy. As a perk, WoodWick candles crackle as the wick burns.
- Good music. My friend Kelsey introduced me to the Avett Bros on Pandora last week. Their station includes the Avett Bros, Ray LaMontagne, Ron Pope, Ed Sheeran, John Legend, etc. All soulful sounds that don’t have a driving beat. Check out one of their songs here: I and Love and You – Avett Brothers
- Games with my kids. When I’m not feeling up to running around the yard or house, we play a lot of board games, puzzles and host stuffed animal/ baby doll tea parties. We teamed up for games last night. M and I lost 2 out of 3 games of ‘Guess Who?’ to the ruthlessly strategic big brother. It doesn’t help that she ALWAYS tries to draw Diane. Diane has a crown. Of course she wants Diane!!!
What are your go-to’s when you aren’t feeling great?